Open with PTTL – Firefox 3.5+ (Plain Text to Link)

I love the Open PTTL firefox extension, but recently upgraded to Firefox 3.5. One of the add-ons which broke was the “Plain Text to Link” addon. I took a look at the Mozilla Addons page and this is the author’s only extension. And it hasn’t been updated since July 2008.

I took a quick look at the code and it seemed pretty simple – and it looks like everything will work fine with Firefox 3, so I’ve edited the install requirements to allow installing on up to Firefox 3.5.*

The old extension file was named plain_text_to_link-1.5.20080618-fx.xpi

I’ve called the new one plain_text_to_link-1.6.20100125-fx.xpi

You probably need to download it to your computer and then drag the xpi file on top of firefox to install :)

open_pttl

This entry was posted in Web Development and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Open with PTTL – Firefox 3.5+ (Plain Text to Link)

1. Iulian says:

I think I know what you’re getting at, but I’m not ertinely sure. Do you mean that there could be a feature on AMO where an addon could be transferred to someone else so they can continue development? Or something more complex/involved?In the case of MozGest, continuing development is not all that simple; the author used binary components and is only willing to provide them to someone who will completely agree to carry the project forward.And yes, I also think there’s a problem at some stage with addon developers and Mozilla officials who associate with addon developers. I have seen various disputes arising from that association.From an outsiders perspective, I get the impression that addon developers are treated as second rate citizens by Mozilla’s addons team. Or it may be that developers are simply fed up with the processes they have to go through to participate. Either way, I feel some things have to change to be more accommodating to developers.

2. alfred says:

trying to switch to shelve, but have not figured that out yet. If you could fix PTTL add-on for newest version of FF, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!

3. Guest says:

Just wanted to let you know that I, too (another anonymous user of your PTTL update) would like to have it work for 3.6 and beyond (I guess there’s a Beta for 4 out now – shudder).

4. Guest says:

Thank you!

5. Will says:

Ok, searching for that led me to this page: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Updating_extensions_for_Firefox_3.6

which talks about contents.rdf and also right click menus. Still don’t have time to dig into it but I’ll start there when I do.

6. Guest says:

” This extension finally breaks in 3.6 beta. I think it has to do with the fact that contents.rdf is no longer allowed, but i’m not sure. But it doesn’t work at all.”

Just something I pulled off comments.

7. Will says:

The code is written well but is quite expansive. You can open the xpi file as a rar file and see what is inside.There is a chrome folder with a pttl.jar file – that file is also just a rar archive. After getting inside of that you can take a look at the code. I’m not sure about any error logging in firefox for the browser’s chrome – I use firebug but that’s for what is inside of the viewpane and not on the next level up. Good luck. Let me know if you find out a way to debug / log in firefox.

8. Guest says:

I’m not good with coding but is there a way I can attempt to help find what could be at cause? I already know it doesn’t load properly and attempting to access options causes the addons window to freeze, is there any logging in FF that would let me figure out whats wrong?

9. Will says:

I looked into the code on this and didn’t immediately find the problem. I don’t have time to dig any deeper right now, but if someone finds a solution please let me know and I’ll post it on this page. Otherwise I’ll try and look at it again when I have time.

10. Guest says:

No go, it doesn’t work on 3.6.3 as of now, trying to configure the options on the addons menu causes the addons window to freeze and no PTTL open link exists… Please do try to update this for us?

11. Will says:

The current program should work up to firefox version 5 (if that ever exists)

12. lupe says:

And I’m waiting for PTTL for FF 3.6!

13. alfred says:

Does PTTL extension for FF3.5 also work in Linux OS?

14. kfx says:

Yeah, thanks a LOT. This add-on rules. Can’t you just upload it to addons.mozilla in his behalf or something?

15. Flipflopnick says:

Many thanx for updating and keeping this add-on alive. I use it almost everyday. I would have install an old copy of flock and use old add-on. Once again many thanx

16. Guest says:

Thanks a lot :)

17. Guest says:

That’s so MASHY!! (awesome)