If you want to make more money in business, become an expert, get famous, or many other things – the first thing you have to do is learn how to get noticed.
But in today’s increasingly crowded world, getting people to pay attention to you isn’t easy — unless you’ve got a list of proven tactics to fall back on.
With that goal in mind, we’ve created the following collection of 35 power ways to get noticed.
How to Get Noticed
- Sponsor a contest. When you can find a larger business that’s running a contest, sponsoring it with your cash, products or services can put you in front of a lot of people throughout the entire promotion. People like to win – and you want to be associated with that powerful emotion.
- Create your own contest. Don’t let the other people have all the fun – turn the tables and create your own contests. You can use your own offerings as prizes, or seek out sponsors who will spread the word to their audiences about the promotion.
- Open your mouth. Public speaking is a huge way to get your brand seen – find relevant groups to speak to as often as you can. Teach what you know and position yourself as an expert that other influencers will talk about in the future.
- Open your ears. Again, turn the tables and invite someone interesting to speak at your offices – and then put the word out to the people you want to reach to attend and hear the speaker for themselves.
- Host someone’s event. Organizations and groups that can help spread the word about you often like to meet at different places throughout the year. Find a group you want to get noticed by, offer to host their next event, and use that time to network with them.
- Host your own event. No matter what you do, there’s something interesting you can create an event around – for example, host a industry-relevant workshop or create your own networking event.
- Write a book. There’s no mistaking it – business owners who write books get more attention and are perceived with greater authority in their field. Find something meaningful to your industry and write something worth reading.
- Offer “meta”-consulting services. Another way to get people to see your business as an authority worth talking about is to offer consulting services around your area of expertise. For example, if you are a software company, you can offer a small workshop on how to write better software.
- Get interviewed. Publications (both online and offline) are always hungry for content. Find a media outlet that serves your target audience and arrange an interview with them to get in front of qualified prospects.
- Get reviewed. People make buying decisions – and judge your brand – by the reviews they read. Offer your products or services to reviewers in exchange for a thorough writeup on their experience.
- Get “stepping stone” referrals. Think about the products and services customers go to right before they look for your offerings, and make arrangements with those providers to bring you up as a referral to their customers.
- Be a newsmaker. Both local and national outlets are always on the lookout for compelling stories – so give them one. Find a way to showcase something your company is doing that is cutting-edge, human-interest or unique.
- Get behind a cause. This goes beyond the one-time contest sponsorship at the top of this list – become part of the yearly fundraising efforts of a worthy cause and you can find yourself getting repeated exposure each time a new fund drive begins. The positive PR doesn’t hurt, either.
- Create a referral program. Finding new customers is expensive, so create an incentive for people to spread the word about you. A generous referral commission program may get your company all the word-of-mouth business you can handle.
- Start a blog. You don’t have to be a “pro blogger” to start a blog – a basic company blog that has regular updates can bring you significant amounts of web search traffic over the long run (and in today’s world, it’s also a sign of being a business authority as well).
- Interview others. By featuring interviews with other people on your blog or website, you can tap into their audience as most people like to promote their own interviews.
- Write a guest post. Guest posting on a well-read blog is a powerful way to get in front of a new audience and get noticed. Find blogs that are targeted to your audience and follow some basic guest posting guidelinesto get the most out of what you write.
- Feature a guest post. Tap into other’ audiences a second time by offering others the chance to guest post on your blog. As with interviews, they will spread the word and point people to your site.
- Participate on blogs and forums. Join comments and conversations on blogs and forums to boost your visibility in front of your target audience (and learn more about them at the same time).
- Take a stand. When you take an unconventional or controversial stand on something because you believe it’s right, you can get a lot of attention. Be true to yourself and don’t be afraid to speak up and be known as someone who takes a passionate stance on issues.
- Work on SEO. Whether you have a blog or a website, your search rankings are only as good as your search engine optimization. If you don’t know where to start, read this article to learn how to get noticed by Google and company.
- Write a press release. People still write press releases because they work – when done right. Find a company that does it well and get the word out there.
- Start a newsletter. Having a regularly published newsletter tells people you have something worth reading and something worth passing along to others. Write useful content let your subscribers spread the message.
- Write articles. Another useful way to show up in search engines is to submit short, relevant articles to article directories around the web. You’ll not only create useful back links to your site, but position yourself to be found by more web searchers.
- Make a video. YouTube and other video upload sites can be powerful ways to get a fast-spreading message about your company out there. Learn from those who do “viral video” well.
- Do a podcast. Do a web search for ‘podcast’ and discover just how many web sites do interviews with people every day – and then line yourself up for an interview of your own.
- Get on the radio. Radio ads are expensive – but interviews are free. Brainstorm something newsworthy and contact your local radio stations to see if they’ll interview you about it.
- Offer a discount to other companies. Many employers and membership sites offer discounts on products and services to their members. By offering a discount of your own, you can get our name in front of all those people quickly and effectively.
- Trade ad space with a partner. Find a related company that has an audience you want to reach and swap ads on your website, blog or print publication. It’s easy, free, and can get you noticed by new prospects.
- Go “half-and-half” on ads. Big ads get noticed, but are expensive; consider splitting the cost with a relevant partner and making an ad that promotes both of you.
- Give publicity to others. In this world, givers get. Take opportunities to publicly spread the good word on other companies and what goes around will come around.
- Work the influencers. Get on good terms with industry influencers and help them find valuable contacts and solutions to their problems, and many will repay you by putting you in front of their audiences.
- Focus on a niche. It’s a lot easier to become a big fish in a small pond than the other way around. Once you’re a big fish in one pond, it makes hopping to the next one easier.
- Give incredible customer service. Nothing beats great customer service for generating word-of-mouth advertising. Go the extra mile for a customer and they’ll come back to you – with their friends.
- Do the right thing. In today’s world, people are jaded and skeptical of businesses – and with good reason. Surprise people by always doing the right thing and acting with integrity in all you do, and what goes around will come around. And that’s just good business.
Did we miss anything? Leave a comment below if you can think of any other good ways to get attention.