Tag Archives: outlook

Outlook 2007/2010 – Gmail Help – Google

Google’s help for setting up Microsoft Outlook 2007 / Microsoft Outlook 2010 with G-mail and Google apps seems to be offline or at least redirecting to a non-helpful general e-mail page. Here is a repost of the page: Outlook 2007/2010   Follow the instructions below to set up IMAP1 access in Outlook 2007/2010. Google Apps users, please follow the default instructions unless otherwise noted, replacing ‘your_domain.com’ with your actual domain2 name. To set up your Outlook 2007/2010 client to work with Gmail: Enable IMAP in Gmail. Don’t forget to click Save Changes when you’re done. Open Outlook. For new setups, select Do not upgrade. Click Yes. Enter your display name, email address (including ‘@gmail.com’), and password. Google Apps users, enter your full email address, e.g. ‘[email protected]_domain.com.’ Select the ‘Manually configure server settings or additional server types’ checkbox. Select Internet E-mail. Settings: name, full email address (including ‘@gmail.com’ or ‘@your_domain.com’) In the Account Type dropdown menu, select IMAP. In the ‘Incoming server name’ section, enter: imap.gmail.com and in the ‘Outgoing server name (SMTP)’ section, enter: smtp.gmail.com. In the ‘User Name’ field, give your full Gmail address, including ‘@gmail.com’ or ‘@your_domain.com.’ After creating these settings, clicking Next takes you to the end of the setup. In the Tools menu, select Options then Mail Setup. Under ‘Email Accounts,’ click E-mail Accounts. Select an account, and click Change above the list of accounts. Click More Settings, then the Advancedtab. Incoming server must be 993, and must use SSL3 encryption. Outgoing server can use 587, … Continue reading

Posted in Tech Tips | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Outlook – 451 Temporary local problem – please try later [solved]

Recently while using Bluehost with Microsoft Outlook 2007 and trying to send / receive mail, I got an error 451 – “Temporary local problem” Sending’ reported error (0x800CCC6A) : ‘Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 451 Temporary local problem – please try later’. The solution to this problem is related to the DNS records in the Bluehost control panel. I had changed the MX records to point to Google Apps and had not changed them bac. To get around this error with Bluehost (and maybe other hosting providers too) make sure that you highest priority MX record (lower numbers are higher priority) points to something like mail.yourdomain.com This will also ensure that all e-mail sent to your domain is handled by Bluehost (take note of that in case you’re trying to use that and google apps).

Posted in Server Administration, Tech Tips | Tagged , , | 1 Comment