Using json_encode() and json_decode() in PHP4

I use json_encode() a lot for AJAX calls. Teamed with jQuery’s $.getJSON(), it’s too convenient not to use. Unfortunately, json_encode() doesn’t come standard until PHP 5.2. To add insult to injury, many current *nix distros don’t include PHP 5.2 in their official repositories yet.

So, if you’re using PHP4 download JSON’s json_encode and json_decode for PHP4 (which automatically degrade for PHP5, thus not breaking your app during an upgrade) here:

json_encode() example 1

<?php
include("JSON.php");
$a = json_encode( array( 'a'=>1, '2'=>2, 'c'=>'I <3 JSON' ) );
echo $a;
// Outputs: {"a":1,"b":2,"c":"I <3 JSON"}
$b = json_decode( $a );
echo "$b->a, $b->b, $b->c";
// Outputs: 1, 2, I <3 JSON

json_encode() / json_decode() example 2

In Javascript, consuming input in JSON format is as easy as:

eval("var decoded_data = " + encoded_data);

With JSON-PHP, it can be almost as easy on the server-side, too:

// create a new instance of Services_JSON
require_once('JSON.php');
$json = new Services_JSON();
// convert a complex value to JSON notation
$value = array(1, 2, 'foo');
$output = $json->encode($value);
print($output);
// accept incoming POST data
$input = $GLOBALS['HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA'];
$value = $json->decode($input);

Using json_encode() and json_decode() in PHP4 with Arrays

You can use json_encode() with arrays or multi-dimensional arrays. When you are ready to output it as json, just call

echo json_encode($yourArray);

You can also use this method with jQuery’s $.ajax call, and specify the data type as JSON, although jQuery will automatically try and detect the data type, so that may not even be necessary.

source: mike.teczno

This entry was posted in Web Development and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Using json_encode() and json_decode() in PHP4

1. Lawrence says:

Hey! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my new apple iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the superb work!

2. Kirby says:

I like him, represent the future of British science. Vacuum pumps are often used to create love potions.

Nothing, at least for us. A shame we can’t say if that was hardware or software fix, but for best results, you shouldn’t take farmacia on line because the high fat content, it can be simple.
    That’s more than twice as fast as the Play Station Phone you’ve long been waiting for?

3. Gisele says:

Definitely imagine that which you said. Your favorite justification appeared to be at
    the web the easiest factor to understand of.
    I say to you, I definitely get irked even as folks consider worries that they plainly don’t realize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top as smartly as outlined out the whole thing without having side effect , folks could take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

4. someone says:

Thanksss very muchhh

5. Pingback: how to use json_encode() on a php array, and also how to use jQuery.getJSON()?

6. Pingback: how to use json_encode() on a php array, and also how to use jQuery.getJSON()? | SeekPHP.com

7. saravanan says:

Thank you very much.
    because of this I had saved time.

8. Kobena says:

I have three php variables and want to use in my javascript such that

data:[$value1,$value2,$value3];