WordPress 3.8 is here (ok, almost!) but you can get it now to see some of the cool stuff.
After upgrading you’ll get:
Welcome to WordPress 3.8 – Thank you for updating to WordPress 3.8, the most beautiful WordPress yet.
- Introducing a modern new design
- Modern aesthetic – The new WordPress dashboard has a fresh, uncluttered design that embraces clarity and simplicity.
- Clean typography – The Open Sans typeface provides simple, friendly text that is optimized for both desktop and mobile viewing. It’s even open source, just like WordPress.
- Refined contrast – We think beautiful design should never sacrifice legibility. With superior contrast and large, comfortable type, the new design is easy to read and a pleasure to navigate.
- WordPress on every device – We all access the internet in different ways. Smartphone, tablet, notebook, desktop — no matter what you use, WordPress will adapt and you’ll feel right at home.
- High definition at high speed – WordPress is sharper than ever with new vector-based icons that scale to your screen. By ditching pixels, pages load significantly faster, too.
Refined theme management
The new themes screen lets you survey your themes at a glance. Or want more information? Click to discover more. Then sit back and use your keyboard’s navigation arrows to flip through every theme you’ve got.
Smoother widget experience
Drag-drag-drag. Scroll-scroll-scroll. Widget management can be complicated. With the new design, we’ve worked to streamline the widgets screen.
Have a large monitor? Multiple widget areas stack side-by-side to use the available space. Using a tablet? Just tap a widget to add it.
The admin theme is very different:
And so is the new theme:
WordPress captions it: “Twenty Fourteen, a sleek new magazine theme”
And the new default theme is called TwentyFourteen
Turn your blog into a magazine
Create a beautiful magazine-style site with WordPress and Twenty Fourteen. Choose a grid or a slider to display featured content on your homepage. Customize your site with three widget areas or change your layout with two page templates.
With a striking design that does not compromise our trademark simplicity, Twenty Fourteen is our most intrepid default theme yet.